Monday, March 21, 2011

"Sentence First- Verdict Afterwards"

One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter." - Lewis Carroll

When I read this quote it gave me a little shiver. It so perfectly represents those times in our lives when we are faced with decisions and uncertainties that seem insurmountable. I cannot count the times I've felt lost like that in life, especially since we joined the Air Force. But the beauty of it is, decisions or no life goes on! Without our permission. I was talking with a bunch of Air Force ladies one day about how our lives are one big question mark. I said my solution is to have plans A through F knowing full well we will have to make up plan G on the fly because none of the others worked out. Its just my way of pretending to have control over the situation. The funny thing is, Plan G always turns out better than any of the others could have been. And its because it wasn't really mine.
My Brother is currently a senior in High School and contemplating where to go next year. I remember how overwhelming this felt and wanted to share a little thought with him. No choice is the wrong choice. Not really. I mean sure we make mistakes, that's a given, but when you make a choice with the right intentions you cant go wrong. How? Because what may feel like the wrong choice now, can end up being one of the best looking back on it. So what's my point. Keep trying. Stay positive. Life is going to happen to you no matter if you hide in a closet so why not make the best of it and try to enjoy the uncertainty?
By the way, I'll let you know when I finally take my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment